The Rock is Love: Ishshah (Woman of God)

It's not easy being a Woman...

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Fat is thIN

So, when I wrote about my imbalanced hormones, I was going on what information I have been given about insuline resistance, pre-diabetes, and PCOS, primarily from medical journals, pamphlets, online support groups (PCOS), and consultations from endocrinologists. It hadn't dawned on me to Google "insuline resistance" and see what came up. I'm glad I finally did.

According to this article from Stanford, eating a diet that is not low in unsaturated fats, may actually HELP me loose weight! Eh? Well, here's a quick, dietary primer...

Everything you eat is made up of 3 things: fat, protein, and carbs. Most of us are familiar with low fat and low carb diets. And with such products as olestra and sucralose which replace oil and sugar, yet because they aren't digestable, they give people varying degrees of diareah. Ik. Anyway, so you can have a diet, a meal, or any particular food item that always contains these 3 calorie providing elements in some percentage. For example:

(Some food item, percents are in calories):

Fat------------------- 15%
Carbs ----------------25&
Protein---------------60%

Now, I wouldn't necessarly say this is what your diet should look like, even if you are like me! Too much protein can cause health problems. Yet there are a number of vegie-meats that pretty much look like this. Sooooo - if most of what you eat in a day is just vegi-meat straight outta the can, um, you might want to reconsider that apple in the basket on the table ;) Unfortunately, this IS the kind of diet, more or less, that I've been trying to have, since mom put me on it after I was diagnosed with Insuline Resistance (IR here on out). So, I'm reconsidering the whole thing...

I'm now looking for recipes that look more like this, and again, percents are in calories:

Fat------------------- 30%
Carbs ----------------25&
Protein---------------45%

I still need a lot of protein, but the carbs HAVE become a real issue to contend with when I've tried to have a low fat AND high protein diet in the past! LOL - the struggle wasn't worth it, and neither are the extra pounds I've gained in the process.

It's going to be a real pistol figuring this thing out. I'm going to come clean (since only a few people read this blog anyway) and give my stats here, and then probably about once a week, update this page. And I'm starting a list of various foods, their general values (per amount I actually use, not per some dorky 1/2 cup measurement that no sane human being EVER actually measures out!), and then I'm going to take that list and work it out to make some good recipes. Honestly, until further notice, that seems like the most sane way to beat this beast.

Oh, and walking, which I do a LOT more of now :) God and I have a Rock we like to go to and just stare at the world He made for us all to enjoy. It's kind of a walk from here, so that's my walk.

So, here are my stats *cries*

Height: 5' 1'
Weight: 188
Heritage: Mostly German, thick bones
Body Fat Percentage: Not sure (haven't had that measured in awhile, maybe 33%)
BMI: 35.6 (On average, I'm 170 lbs and a BMI of about 32. I'm at a high point right now.)

Foods I like to eat:
(Of course each food has all 3 calorie providors in it, but these are grouped into which foods are highest in what.)

Proteins:
Mori-Nu Tofu
Silken Tofu (rarely ever use it though)
Silk Soy Milk
Soy Yogurt
Egg Whites (hard boiled or Egg Beaters)
Broccoli
Vegie-Burger (Used to be Low Fat, I'm now reconsidering)
Vegie-Stakes
Turkey Slices

Carbs:
Bread
Pasta
Fruit Based Deserts
Candies or candied fruits
Granola
Cereal
Corn
Potatoes
Almost all fruits
Vegan Fudge Brownies
Beans, Peas (Gasp! Yup - their MUCH higher in carbs calories than protein calories.)

Unsaturated Fat:
Almonds
Avacados?? (not sure, but mom buys them so I won't get my fat from egg yolks)
Olives
Olive Oil
Vegetable Oil??? (again, not sure)
Oil Crust Pie (no shortening in crust or filling)
Oil Based Deserts (no shortening)

Low in Everything (high water content):
Grapes (62 cals from carbs in 1 cup)
Most of your basic Salad ingredients
Celery
Beets
Cooked Fresh Green Beans
Baby Corns
Tomatoes and T-based products (watch out for sodium or unhealthy spices [black pepper])
Diet sodas (go have a cow if you think those are bad for me, ok??? Theres a barn nearbye.)
Water (duh)
Non-caffeinated tea or iced tea
Diet drink mixes

Foods I really just need to avoid:
Anything frosted (that includes birthday cakes, cupcakes, cookies, brownies...)
Most of the deserts mom makes
Fatty Bakery Foods (saturated fat, big time, oh my, go READ THE LABELS!!!)
Vegan cheeses, cream cheese, mayonaise (unless it has 0 saturated fat)
Vegan ice creams
Vegetarian Chilli Products

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home